Yields: 16 Twinkies
Golden Sponge Cake:
6 large eggs, separated
1-1/2 cups cake flour, sifted twice
1-1/2 heaping tsps baking powder
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup + 2 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Separate eggs – whites in smaller bowl and yolks in a medium sized bowl. Make sure bowl with egg whites is dry and clean.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt twice. Set aside.
4. Beat egg whites until stiff. Set aside. With same beaters, beat egg yolks and sugar until golden lemon color. Add water and vanilla. Beat until blended.
5. Add flour mixture and beat until blended, DO NOT OVER BEAT.
6. Fold in beaten egg whites.
7. Spray 2 Twinkie cake pans with cooking spray. Spoon batter into prepared pans 2/3 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly touched. Remove from oven. Immediately invert onto cooling racks and cool cakes completely.
Whipped Cream Filling:
16 oz Whipping Cream, chilled
3/4 cup powdered sugar
Beat whipping cream and powdered sugar in large bowl until stiff.
To Fill Twinkies:
1. Fit pastry bag with writing tip.
2. Fill pastry bag with whipped cream.
3. Insert tip of decorating tip and squeeze whipped cream into twinkie. You will have 3 holes – one each end and one in center. As you squeeze the pastry bag, the whipped cream may overflow to the top. After you are done filling, use a knife and scrape off excess.
4. To keep fresh and store easily, individually wrap in plastic wrap and chill.
Twinkie Pan by Norpro - I purchased mine from Amazon.com. For this recipe, you will need 2 pans.
Baked Twinkies cooling on wire racks.
Baked Twinkies filled. I wrapped them individually with plastic wrap and keep them refrigerated.
These are delicious and disappear quickly. Enjoy & Bon Appetit!