Saturday, February 13, 2010

Assembling Amigurumi

I had a few people send me notes indicating their frustration (or time consuming) in assembling the Amigurumi pieces. When I first started doing Ami's, I would crochet the pieces, set them aside and then assemble when all of the pieces were done. That became quite a task. Now, this is my technique - I find this technique works really well for me and the Amigurumi comes together as you crochet the pieces. A lot faster and easier. This is what I do:

1. Read the entire pattern first. This is very important.
2. Get your materials ready, supplies you will need for the project, ie, yarn, embellishments, etc.
3. Once you are ready, you start.
4. Crochet the head. Insert eyes, nose (if using safety nose). Stuff the head.
5. Embroider nose, mouth whiskers, etc, if pattern calls for those steps.
6. Crochet the ears - now attach the ears. The head is done - set aside.
7. Crochet the bow (Hello Kitty) - now attach the bow.
8. Crochet the body - now stuff the body. Attach head to body.
9. Crochet the arms - stuff (if pattern calls for stuffing the arms) and attach to body.
10. Crochet the legs - stuff (if pattern calls for stuffing the legs) and attach to body.
11. Add finishing touches, embellishments and you are done!

I find this technique works best for me. You can see how your Ami is progressing, rather than seeing all the pieces laying around, especially if you have a pattern that has 8, 9 or 10 pieces. Give this technique a try and see how well it works for you. And as always, if ever you have any questions, I am always available to help. Just send me an email and I will respond.

Happy Crocheting!

8 comments:

Molly said...

Thank you so much for your ideas on how you do things. It really helps to understand others ways. Thanks for sharing.

Crocheting My Best With My Worsted
http://crochetingmyworsted.blogspot.com

Ghost said...

Thank you. I see some Crobots in my future and I will surely use this technique.

Armina said...

I really enjoying sharing my craft with everyone. And as I get new techniques that works for me, I like to share those ideas as well. Everyone has their own techniques - I am always open to try something new and see how it works. We always have room to learn and grow.

brito said...

Hello:)
What a nice site u have!
Ur Amigurumi is fab!
I`m just a beginner at crochet, and have never made one of this kind;)
But they look so lovely, that I will try some of ur recipies!
Thank u for sharing: I just become ur follower:)
brito

Armina said...

You are welcome - enjoy!

bonnie said...

Armina,
Thank you for your tip on assembling as you go. I have been know to finish crocheting a project and leaving it sit unassembled for several months because I dread the assembling process. I was wondering if you have any tips on the actual assembling of pieces, I know you sew them together but for some reason mine don't look very good. I mean the the place where I sew two pieces together usually stands out and doesn't look anywhere as nice as yours and others I seen. Not sure what I'm doing wrong they look bulky.I'm always just fumbling around to try and make it work not really having any rhyme or reason to what I'm doing. I would really appreciate any tips, techniques, or ideas you would be willing to share. If you know of any tutorials on the subject that you could recommend, I would be ever so grateful as I tend to learn from watching and doing. I appreciate any help you could offer.
Thank you for your time.
Bonnie

Armina said...

Hi Bonnie
Send me an email and I can send you some information.

Anonymous said...

I will Thanks!