Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Amigurumi Kuromi Doll Pattern


It's been a while since I posted anything - there were some personal issues I had to tend to. Since I was away, I thought I would treat everyone with the Kuromi Pattern I promised earlier -Kuromi is the evil twin of My Melody. So here it is.

Materials:
Size US-E/3.50mm Crochet Hook
Lion Brand Pound of Love - White
Caron Simply Soft – Black
5 - 1/2” Pink PomPoms
2 – 1/2” Black PomPoms
Pink Embroidery Floss
Black Embroidery Floss
2 - 9mm Safety Eyes
Aleene’s Tacky Glue
Polyester Fiberfill
Blunt darning needle
Small Amount of Pink Felt

Abbreviations:
SC = Single Crochet
Ch = Chain
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
Beg = Beginning
St(s) = Stitch(es)
2tog = Crochet 2 stitches together (decrease)
* = Repeat stitches from * to end of *
HDC = Half Double Crochet
DC = Double Crochet
TRC = Treble Crochet
SL ST = Slip Stitch


Pattern Notes:
· This pattern is worked in continuous rounds; do not join and do not turn. Use stitch marker to indicate beginning of rounds.
· May not be safe for small children.
· Yarns listed is what I used – size may vary with other yarns.

Head:
Ch 2
Rnd 1: Work 5 sc in second ch from hook = 5 sc
Rnd 2: Work 2 sc in each sc = 10 sc
Rnd 3: *Sc in first sc, 2 sc in second sc*, repeat from * around = 15 sc
Rnd 4: *Sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat from * around = 20 sc
Rnd 5: *Sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat from * around = 25 sc
Rnd 6: *Sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat from * around = 30 sc
Rnds 7-12: Sc in each sc around
Rnd 13: *Sc in next 4 sc, sc 2tog*, repeat from * around = 25 sc
Rnd 14: *Sc in next 3 sc, sc 2tog*, repeat from * around = 20 sc
Rnd 15: *Sc in next 2 sc, sc 2tog*, repeat from * around = 15 sc
Fasten off, leaving a long tail; Position and insert safety eyes; stuff firmly. Sew opening closed. Flatten bottom of body so doll can sit.

Hoodie:
With Black Yarn, Ch 2
Rnd 1: Work 5 sc in second ch from hook = 5 sc
Rnd 2: Work 2 sc in each sc = 10 sc
Rnd 3: *Sc in first sc, 2 sc in second sc*, repeat from * around = 15 sc
Rnd 4: *Sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat from * around = 20 sc
Rnd 5: *Sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat from * around = 25 sc
Rnd 6: *Sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat from * around = 30 sc
Rnds 7-14: Sc in each sc around
Rnd 15: Sl st in next sc, work 1 HDC in next st, 1 DC in next st, 1 TRC in next st, 1 DC in next st, 1 HDC in next st, sl st in next st. (This will make the point on the hoodie). Fasten off; leave a long tail for sewing hoodie on head.

Ears: (Make 2)
With Black Yarn, ch 2
Rnd 1. Work 5 sc in sec ch from hook = 5 sc
Rnd 2: Work 2 sc in ea sc around = 10 sc
Rnd 3: Sc around
Rnd 4: *Sc in first sc, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat from * around = 15 sc
Rnd 5-8: Sc around
Rnd 9: *Sc in first sc, sc 2tog*, repeat from * around = 10 sc
Rnd 10-11: Sc around
Fasten off, leave a long tail for sewing.

To shape tip of ears, gently push the end of your crochet hook into ear to give the tip a slight point. Be careful not to poke a hole through the tip of the ears.

At this point, you will insert the head into the hoodie. Position ears on each side of hoodie. Sew ears on head. Sew hoodie on head. Weave in yarn. Glue the 1/2” black pompom on the tip of each ear – set aside and allow to dry.
TIP: Any time I work with gluing a small piece or spot, I always use a toothpick to apply the glue. This gives more control on the amount of glue you apply.

Body:
Ch 2
Rnd 1: Work 5 sc in second ch from hook = 5 sc
Rnd 2: Work 2 sc in each sc = 10 sc
Rnd 3: *Sc in first sc, 2 sc in second sc*, repeat from * around = 15 sc
Rnd 4: *Sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat from * around = 20 sc
Rnd 5: *Sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat from * around = 25 sc
Rnd 6: *Sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat from * around = 30 sc
Rnds 7-11: Sc in each sc around
Rnd 12: *Sc in next 4 sc, sc 2 tog*, repeat from * around = 25 sc
Rnd 13: *Sc in next 3 sc, sc 2tog*, repeat from * around = 20 sc
Rnd 14: *Sc in next 2 sc, sc 2tog*, repeat from * around = 15 sc
Rnd 15: *Sc in next sc, sc 2tog*, repeat from * around = 10 sc
Fasten off leave long tail; stuff firmly. Sew opening closed (this will be the bottom). Weave in yarn. Flatten bottom so doll can stand.

Collar:With Black Yarn –
1. Insert crochet hook on top of body – pull yarn and make a loop. Sl St loop to secure.












2. Insert hook through each st on top of body and sc around = approximately 7 sc around
NOTE: Depending on yarn you use the amount of sc around will vary – with the yarn I used, I got 7 sc around. My numbers are just approximates.
















3. Work 2 sc in each sc around = approximately 14 sc
4. *Sc in first sc, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat from * around = approximately 21 sc
5. *Sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat from * around (Work 2 sc in last sc) = approximately 30 sc














Now you will make the little points on the collar for the pompoms.
6. *Sl st next 4 sc, work 1 HDC, 1 DC, 1 HDC in next sc, sl st next 4 sc*, repeat from * around (You will have a total of 5 points).Fasten off, leave a long tail for sewing. Weave yarn to top of body. (You will be using this piece of yarn to sew the head on to the body).
Now you will glue the 5 – 1/2” pompoms on each point. Apply a small drop of glue on to the tip of each crocheted point on the collar. Attach the pompom. Set aside and allow to dry.
TIP: To control the amount of glue applied to each tip, use a toothpick. Apply the glue to the toothpick, then place the glue on the tip of each point on the collar.

You will cut out a small skull out of pink felt. My skull measured 1/2” across and 3/4” long. Make the skull proportionate to the size of the dolls head. Apply a small amount of glue to the back of the skull (use a toothpick to spread the glue) and attach to the front of the cap. Set aside and allow to dry.



























Felt Skull
Cut a piece of pink felt in this pattern - make skull porportioned to size of doll's head.

Arms: (Make 2)Ch 2Rnd 1: Work 5 sc in second ch from hook = 5 sc
Rnd 2: Work 2 sc in ea sc around = 10 sc
Rnd 3-12: Sc aroundFasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing. Lightly stuff arms.

Legs: (Make 2)
Ch 2
Rnd 1: Work 5 sc in second ch from hook = 5 sc
Rnd 2: Work 2 sc in ea sc around = 10 sc
Rnd 3-6: Sc around
Fasten off, leave a long tail for sewing. Stuff legs.


To Assemble:
1. Attach head to body.
2. Attach arms under the collar.
3. Attach legs.
4. With black embroidery floss, sew eyelashes (stitch just above the safety eye to give Kuromi a “bad” look)
5. With pink embroidery floss. Sew nose.

Your adorable Crocheted Kuromi Doll is complete!
Doll measures 6” tall from tip of ears to bottom.

Happy Crocheting!






















As always, if you would like this pattern in PDF format, send me an email and I will be more than happy to send it to you.

18 comments:

ViVy said...

it's very funny!

Ghost said...

Wow and a great tutorial to go with it. Thanks so much.

Armina said...

You are welcome - enjoy!

herzblut777 said...

Thanks so much for the pattern! I love these Amigurumi!

Armina said...

You are very welcome - enjoy!

Aurora said...

Way tooooo cute!!!!

Ana Maria said...

Hey! It is so adorable;) Ok! so I have translated your pattern into swedish and made myself this cutie. BUT how did you make the hood cap? I would be so greatful for an answere. tnx

Armina said...

Ana Maria, he instructions for the hood cap is under "HOODIE" - i also give the instructions for making the little point on front, along with the ears. Can you send a pic and I will post it?

Kismet said...

I'm almost finished with Kuromi and she's absolutely adorable! I just have one question:
How did you make the point in the hoodie that the skull lies on? I can't find it in the pattern. I've tried all kinds of variations and I just can't get it right. :( Could you post that part?

Armina said...

I posted Rnd 15 to the Hoodie - my apologies - it apparently didnt copy when I posted the pattern.
I would love to see your completed Kuromi when you are done - I will post it on my blog ... :-)

Kismet said...

Thank you very much! I should have time to finish her tonight. :)

Kismet said...

My Kuromi didn't turn out as well as yours. I had to alter some parts of the pattern to compensate for my inexperience, but I'm proud of her!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3tTpWUzcTFgx4Q0iM_FBqQ?feat=directlink

Armina said...

She came out beautiful - is it ok if I post your pic on my blog? If so, how do you want your name to appear. Great job!

Kismet said...

I would be honored to have her on your blog. :) You can list me as Kismet or Dawn from Idaho. :)

Anonymous said...

nice i've learned so much on you thank you and god bless

Armina said...

You are welcome - I love to share this wonderful craft.

Anonymous said...

I just want to thank you for sharing the pattern for your large hello kitty. My niece loves hello kitty and I am in the middle of making it right now. I just can't wait to finish it and give it her. Do you happen to have a pattern for Barney? Thank you again.

Armina said...

You are welcome - I will try to work up a Barney pattern.