Thursday, October 16, 2008

Gown Tutorial

I have had several requests to post a tutorial on crocheting the gown on Amigurumi. I use the technique of crocheting the gown directly on to the body on most of my Amigurumi. I find that it gives a more complete look and you don’t run the risk of the filling showing through your stitches.

This tutorial is based on a 5” to 5-1/2” doll. If your doll is bigger, your stitches will increase. So the larger the doll, the more your stitches will be.

The first step is to crochet the body. That will be your base. On all of my Amigurumi, I use the bottom as the base, and I flatten the base so my Ami will stand. That way, I can, if I choose, add legs or leave as is. It will stand on its own.

So once your base is complete, you are now ready to start crocheting the gown directly on to the body

Please Note: The stitches I have in this tutorial is based on a 5” to 5-1/2” doll.

Rnd 1: Starting on top of body, insert crochet hook in sc and pull yarn through to form a loop; make 6 sc around, sl st to first loop (use stitch marker to mark)


Body Base













Starting Loop
















Rnd 2: Now make 2 sc in ea sc around = 12 sc













Rnd 3: *Sc in first sc, 2 sc in next sc,* repeat from * around = 18 sc
















Rnd 4: *Sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat from * around = 24 sc
Rnd 5: *Sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat from * around = 30 sc















Rnd 6-14: Sc around (gown should reach bottom of body base). Sl st to join.






























NOTE: The ruffle border is optional. If you do not want to put a ruffle border, you can stop at Rnd 14, fasten off, and attach the legs. I wanted to include the ruffle border in this tutorial because I use this often.


Rnd 15: For ruffle border, *HDC, DC, HDC in first sc, sl st into next sc,
HDC, DC, HDC in next sc*, repeat from * around.Fasten off. Weave in yarn.


























I hope this tutorial helps when you are creating your wonderful Amigurumi.

Happy Crocheting!

8 comments:

ViVy said...

♥♥♥thank you♥♥♥

Armina said...

You are welcome - I hope this tutorial helps... =^.^=

ViVy said...

helps a lot, now I understand!

Armina said...

Good, I like to have tutorials on some of my techniques to help people with my patterns. I am glad. :-)

Anonymous said...

THANKS A LOT =)

Armina said...

You are very welcome.

CB said...

Ooh, wow! I never thought of that! Yes, this definitely helps in my ami-ing! Thank you!

Betül said...

hi :))) please help me :(((... How can ı make flat bottom by sewing for large hello kitty body ? ı finished the body and there are 15 stitch with big hole :((( How can ı sew? Thank you and sorry about my english :(((