Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Crocheted Shell Bookmark


Materials:
Size US-E/3.5mm Crochet Hook
Patons Grace Cotton Thread
Sharp Needle
Bead

Abbreviations:
SC = Single Crochet
HDC = Half Double Crochet
DC = Double Crochet
Ch = Chain
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
Beg = Beginning
Sts = (Stitches)
* = Repeat stitches from * to end of *


Ch 42
Rnd 1: Sc in sec ch from hook, sc across.
Rnd 2: Sl st and join to first ch, ch 1, do not turn.
Rnd 3: Sl st and join to other end.
Rnd 4: Sc across top stitch only (Weave in thread as you crochet)
Rnd 5: Sl St and join to other end
Rnd 6: *HDC, DC, HDC in first ch from hook, sl st in sec ch from hook, HDC, DC, HDC in next ch from hook*, repeat from * across to end
Shell border is completed on one side
Rnd 7: Sl st to other end
Rnd 8: *HDC, DC, HDC in first ch from hook, sl st in sec ch from hook, HDC, DC, HDC in next ch from hook*, repeat from * across to end
Rnd 9: Sl st in center
Rnd 10: Ch 25, fasten off
Rnd 11: Make a slip knot where you fastened off (Make sure the knot is big enough to prevent the bead from sliding)

To Make Tassel:
Measure 6 strands 8” long
Cut another long strand of yarn; tie a knot in center
Take long piece of thread and tightly wrap around top 4 times
Run thread through top with a sharp needle and run through tassel
Thread yarn at end of bead onto a sharp needle and run through top of tassel. Trim tassel.

Steam press bookmark lightly.
Voila!! Your bookmark is complete.

Any large bead can be used. The bead gives the bookmark weight when placed in a book.



NOTE: If you would like these directions with a pictorial, send me a note and I can email the directions in PDF.

19 comments:

Crochet Diva said...

Oh, I may try this soon! Thanks!

Armina said...

You are welcome, it is a quick and easy gift idea. I can make 2 in an hour.

Anonymous said...

this is so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1i can't wait to try it

Armina said...

Thank you, I hope you enjoy it

Rabbit9 said...

Very pretty, thank you.

becky1958 said...

I would love to have your PDF. You can e-mail it to me at macscout@yahoo.com if you have the time. I'm a very new beginner. This looks like it could be a great first project. What do you think?
-Becky

Judy said...

could you send the PDF directions to me?
judy49(at)aol.com

Thanks!

Armina said...

Thank you - and you are welcome. Hope you enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Armina, I just love your blog!

I'm new in crochet but mi grandma teached me some tips and I have become very good at it.

I loved this project but I have some serious problems on doing it :(

I'm pretty sure is because I'm from Chile, so english instructions are very hard to understand

Anyway, I won't give up 'cos I really really really want to do this project as a gift to mi mum (Mother's Day in mi country is just around the corner)

So, could you please help me?
I'm having issues on Round 3...i I don't undersantd how you can join into the OTHER finish :S

You think you could e-mail me giving me more detailed instructions?
Or maybe a tutorial...special for dummies haha or for persons who speak another languague...

I also believe that your instructions could be complemented with videos showing the making off, step by step, of your projects...wouldn't that be amazin?

Please, write to me!!!!


Kiss
Nati

npcabrerar@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I would love the PDF version of these bookmarks. Please email to me at mapperson@cytanet.com.cy

Kay

NG said...

Can you please send me the pdf? I loved it and want to make this soon.
My email address is Garud.n@gmail.com
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

beautiful bookmark!!! could you please send me it to me in pdf at danielle7776@aol.com thanks

Armina said...

Thank you - all of my free patterns are available for PDF download now, under FREE PATTERSNS.

Anonymous said...

I absolutley love this pattern! I'm thinking of making it as a gift. I would appreciate it if you could send me the PDF at jcuruchima@ymail.com Thanks.

Armina said...

Thank you - this is a quick project and makes great gifts. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

could you please send the PDF directions to me?
nassau22@juno.com

Debbie Cronje said...

Love your blog! This is a stunning pattern, could you please send me the PDF directions? dcronje@icon.co.za

Debbie Cronje said...

Love your blog! This is a stunning pattern, could you please send me the PDF directions? dcronje@icon.co.za

Barbara Ward said...

Love this design ... could you please send me the PDF? barbward111@gmail.com